VIDEO GAMES: 10 QUOTES TO REMEMBER


I love video games. That's not a confession, its a statement. I love video games and always will, I hope I can keep the run going for as long as possible, most non-gamers think they are a waste of time or resources, but a gamer knows that playing a video game is often way more than a  linear experience designed to give you short lived joy, or something to indulge in when there isn't anything better to do.



I assure you, it is way more than that. In video games I've visited worlds beyond my imagination, I've achieved feats which are straight up impossible, I've been an athlete, a god, assassin, wizard, soldier, thief, warrior, super hero, car racer, criminal, cowboy, you name it, by holding a controller I have been in situations and seen things through the eyes of characters I would otherwise have never dreamed of. Yes, video games offer escapism from the unpleasant realities of day to day life, but before you judge, remember that if you indulge in TV shows, movies, novels, and any other make believe media then we are in the same boat, I simply have a more active role in my story, not mentioning the added perks of improved motor functions; hand eye coordination, improved creativity and split decision making.

Like every other story telling medium, the power of a very vivid imagination is highly employed in making video games. In games I have come across some thought provoking, mind blowing plots worthy of Oscars, poetry worthy of a Nobel, and beautifully designed worlds and words intellectually strung together to mind blowing effects. I've been educated about events, places, people and things that came before me, I've learned about real life from something so unreal, the most unlikely and ironic of sources. I have experienced a myriad of feelings from frustration, joy, anger, sadness and even the occasional romance, yes romance, and no, contrary to popular culture stereotyping, we are not socially awkward or retarded, we lead healthy social lives, have friends and have engaging relationships with the opposite sex.

Today, I came across an article by Gamesradar laying out the best 100 quotes in video games, which mostly served as the inspiration for this little piece, I went through it and picked a few noteworthy ones, (they missed quite a number, but it is a forgivable sin since there are just too many to keep track of, but it remains a worthy list) if I picked any more then you wouldn't read the main article, would you?

In no particular order here are 10 of the (in my opinion) best life lecturing quote's from that list and some of the best you might have missed.


"What is a man but the sum of his memories? We are the stories we live! The tales we tell ourselves!" Clay Kaczmarek, Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood


"It's more important to master the cards you're holding than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." Grimsley, Pokémon Black and White

"Federico: It is a good life we lead, brother.
 Ezio: The best. May it never change.
 Federico: And may it never change us."
 Federico and Ezio Auditore, Assassin’s Creed 2

"Hope is what makes us strong. It is why we are here. It is what we fight with when all else is lost." Pandora, God of War 3

"NOTHING IS MORE BADASS THAN TREATING A WOMAN WITH RESPECT!" Mr. Torgue, Borderlands 2

"Life is cruel. Of this I have no doubt. One can only hope that one leaves behind a lasting legacy. But so often, the legacies we leave behind...are not the ones we intended." Queen Myrrah, Gears of War 2

"Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain’t nothing fair." John Marston, Red Dead Redemption


"It’s a funny thing, ambition. It can take one to sublime heights or harrowing depths. And sometimes they are one and the same." Emily Kaldwin, Dishonored

"Wanting something does not give you the right to have it." Ezio Auditore, Assassin’s Creed 2

"We all make choices in life, but in the end our choices make us." Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

There, 10 insightful quotes about life, and you said games didn't teach you anything.

For the full list visit Gameradar's The 100 best video game quotes of all time

Comments