THE BATMAN WE DESERVE


Its around 2pm on the 14th of February 2016 and I’m feeling love, on the border of ecstatic! No, not the love of a significant other or the love of family, not even the love of life, its a very different kind of love, you see I just saw the Batman vs Superman final trailer less than 24 hours ago and I’m brimming with love, love for; the movie, Zack Snyder, who is such an awesome director! (prior works include 300, Watchmen, Man of Steel), Henry Cavill, who in my personal opinion is the best film representation of Superman ever! Christopher Reeves would always have a special place in my heart being the first live action Superman I ever knew and who did a great job at the time, but Cavill owns this bitch now and boy does he have it locked, however the unequivocal winner of my heart here is Benjamin Geza Affleck-Boldt better known as Ben Affleck.

I remember exactly where I was bout 3 yrs ago when Affleck was confirmed as the next man to don the cowl of the Dark Knight; I was at work having a somewhat shitty day and there comes along breaking news on CNN that Ben Affleck was going to be the next Batman, my day suddenly became shittier... ‘I mean what the Fuck!? Affleck really?? fuck fuck fuck!!!’
You see I love superheroes, most people that know me know this, and of  all superheroes, Batman for me is numero uno, most people should know this too, I mean what’s not to love?...from the awesome cool gadgets and vehicles that capture and awaken your  imagination to the more complicated and intricate backstory of why Batman is Batman.

Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman in the Dark Knight Trilogy
Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight Trilogy recently came to an end and like most Batman fans I thought Christian Bale did a very good job and rooted for the Welshman to feature in future movies as there were whispers of a JL (Justice League) movie around the corner, and here were Warner Brothers telling me they were gonna go along with the guy who ruined Daredevil instead,  and there wasn't going to be a JL movie anytime soon. I was gutted! so much so that I went as far as expressing on every social media outlet I was on that I was going to **** Ben Affleck’s mother if he ruined Batman, the scary thing was....I think I meant it, Sorry Ben.

Ben Affleck as Matt Murdoch/Daredevil
Daredevil wasn't the worst superhero movie ever to be honest, (in fact there were a few positives about it; like the costume, which is actually a better adaptation than that of the ongoing Netflix series but that's for another article) that infamous title belongs to George Clooney’s Batman and Robin right alongside Ryan Reynold’s Green Lantern (who has more than redeemed himself in the superhero genre with Deadpool). It’s always easy to blame actors when a movie goes south, anyway I wasn't keen on watching Ben Affleck destroy Batman and unsurprisingly so were millions of other Batman fans! the internet went ablaze!!!!

There were the tweets, facebook statuses, memes ranging from the humorous to the down right malevolent, so much so that the actor confessed he had to go offline just to avoid all that negativity.
So here we are 3yrs later and most if not all of those that doubted the cast on that fateful day 3yrs ago have probably been converted from that opinion, I mean its Ben Affleck we are talking about, he’s a pretty damn good actor/producer and his record should have spoken some volume about his work ethic, we probably should have cut the guy some slack (However DD was just sooo bad we couldn't be rational).

True to his art he kept a level head and immersed himself in his work, adding over 20 pounds of muscle to his already imposing 6.2ft frame to play the character, Batman had never  been so big on film, then came the shots of Ben wearing the newly designed and probably the closest adaptation of the batman costume on the big screen and at this moment we knew we had something special on our hands; this guy was a Batman, however the jury was still out on if he was going to be a good Bruce Wayne, cuz you see that's the tricky part; nailing both sides of the coin.

Batffleck
Then came the trailers; the teaser trailer and first trailer, and we still couldn't tell if this guy was going to be a good Bruce Wayne or not, then the second trailer where he and Henry Cavill traded shots in the opening scene as Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne and we’re like ‘okay not bad, not bad’....but we still weren't convinced, thoroughly. 
"If we believe there's even a one percent chance that this is our guy we have to take it as an absolute certainty...."

TIME man of the year?
However on February 11  2016, Warner Brothers released the 3rd and final trailer  and we got to see Mr Affleck at his best both as Batman and Bruce Wayne and I have to say that for me and probably a million others all doubts have been cleared, this might just be the best Batman ever! with respect to Micheal Keaton, Val Kilmer and Christian Bale who did great jobs on their various interpretations of the character especially Christian Bale’s Dark Knight Trilogy which is a very different and more down to earth take on the character (I watch it every year now) but Ben Affleck’s Batman will be the closest thing to the comics and if we believe there's even a one percent chance that this is our guy we have to take it as an absolute certainty...pun intended.

So kudos to an actor who despite the massive negativity surrounding him has come through quite exceptionally well if I might add and is justifying those who initially cast him as Batman. I’m certain I speak on behalf of all his naysayers when I say I’m sorry for being an asshole and I take all my unsavory comments back, I am a believer now, job well done Ben and good will hunting.

Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman will feature in Dawn of Justice
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is out on the 25th of March 2016. Make it a date.

Comments